Thursday, June 4, 2015

Pebble Beach

Parking lot at Pebble Beach
We never had the time to stop at Pebble Beach before, and I was always a little intimidated anyway. My main experience "as seen on TV" was the famous Pro-Am golf tournament that got my attention when we first visited this area in 1994. There were migrating whales in Monterey Bay that year, and I always think about that magical view of whales from the air when I watch the tournament.

Putting green
We had no trouble parking in the visitor lot and there's certainly no need to be intimidated, since visitors are encouraged to visit well designated public places at Pebble Beach. The landscaping is lovely and the shops (pricey jewelry, exclusive men's and women's clothing, other merchandise) are upscale and very welcoming.

Shops at Pebble Beach
I was excited to enter the Lodge at Pebble Beach. Men looking like Highland Scots in their dress kilts guard the large doors and open them wide for entry. Guests were eating and drinking on the deck beyond the lobby, and the hall across from the front desk was full of pictures of famous golfers and trophies.

I'm almost ashamed that I felt much the same way when I first visited St. Mark's in Venice many decades ago. My claim to populist sympathies went out the window as I sat on the bench facing the putting green, enjoying all the sights and smells of this lovely resort. More pics in my California album.

No comments:

Post a Comment