Wednesday, June 3, 2015

MSP to SFO

Getting ready for this little trip was full of obstacles so I was expecting problems, but instead we arrived at the airport early and sailed through TSA pre-check, shoes on and portable electronics in my carry-on. Gate G has been renovated since we were last there, now bright and modern, full of little tables with iPads, where food can be ordered and delivered within about  15 minutes. I had breakfast (Subway flatbread, bacon-egg-cheese with lots of fresh veggies) just outside the gate, a favorite airport indulgence.

Between booking and departure, the aircraft had changed from an Airbus to a 757, and the cozy doubles (no middle seat) I had selected for us had been changed to a left window for Bob and a right aisle for me on the other side of the plane. I didn't realize this till last Friday when I unsuccessfully emailed, tweeted and called Delta in an attempt to modify the seating. We tried again when we got to the airport but had to resign ourselves to individual seats.

I took the window, scrambling over two women to get to my spot. The upgraded Delta comfort seats, a $118 expense I justified because we were flying free on Skymiles, were roomy, especially for someone as short as I am. We've been to California many times, but I've usually had the middle seat with neither room to maneuver nor any view, but today I was treated to a great panorama as we flew 2,000 miles, half-way across the continent.

The day was spectacular, sunny with great visibility throughout the flight. The land is so vast and lovely, colorful and rich in the fullness of spring. I admired blue Minnesota lakes and rivers, green and gold South Dakota farmland, snow topped mountains as we passed over Wyoming and finally, California. I expected to see parched land from the air, but my untrained eye observed only vibrant beauty with no evidence of drought.

No comments:

Post a Comment