Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Late Afternoon in Monterey

Sailboat on Monterey Bay
I was totally fried (close to catatonic actually) yesterday afternoon after we checked in, but as always, Bob revived after a tasty snack of deluxe, cashew filled trail mix, one of his birthday gifts from granddaughter Angie and her family.

Our hotel is across the bay
We crossed the bridge over Highway 1 and had a bite to eat at McDonald's, the right choice since I was afraid that I might want to rest my head on the table, not usually a good idea in a better restaurant. The side salad and chicken nuggets perked me up and I was ready to go into Monterey for a little sightseeing. We used the GPS to find a store with Johnny Walker for later and then headed to the famous waterfront.

The sun was hot but the salty wind from the bay was cold. A few divers and kids playing on the rocky beach entertained us just around the shore from Monterey Beach Aquarium. Waves  pounded on the shore and two older men sat on the bench next to us, speaking animatedly in Italian. We could have been looking out at the lovely Bay of Naples and I realized this was a moment best captured in memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment